Google maps offer a robust set of features. Measuring distance between the different points is one of the best features of google maps. Most people use this feature to get the right direction when moving from one place to another. If you are using an Android or a computer, google maps always assists you in navigating from one point to another.
The article holds information on how to measure distance on Google Maps and how it is the best navigation service. Let’s read the article to know how you can measure the distance of your desired points on your Mobile or PC by using Google Maps.
How to Measure Distance with Google Maps on a PC and MAC?
- Open Google Maps and then right-click on the desired starting point
- Click on Measure Distance on the menu that appears
- You must click anywhere on Google Maps to draw a line between the starting and ending points. The distance in the form of a straight line will appear in a box. The box can be seen at the bottom of the screen. You can also remove the marked points by clicking on them,
- To draw a more complex direction or route, click on the marked line and drag it into position at different points. The total distance will automatically be measured between the starting and ending point. Otherwise, you can draw a route if you repeatedly click along the intended paths.
- If you want to finish, click on the X symbol in the distance measurement box.
Tip: if you have already added a point to the map, you can move it by clicking and dragging it in the new direction.
How to Measure Distance with Google Maps on Android on iPhone?
- Open Google Maps on your Android or iPhone (anyone of these two devices).
- Tap to hold a position of the Google Maps where you would like to start measuring from. A red pin will be dropped.
- At the bottom of the screen, tap the pop-up for the dropped pin.
- Tap on Measure Distance
- When the pop-up menu has disappeared, move the map to position the target. Keep moving the map until the place is targeted over the new location you desire to measure.
Note: Keep in mind that you move the map, not the point.
- Tap Add Point at the bottom of the screen. Now you would see the distance on the screen in the lower left.
- If you want to measure the complex and longer paths, you will continue to add the points. To do so, move the map, and a new line segment will appear along with a new target. Now, tap Add Point again if it is in your desired place. You will see the distance update after adding every new point.
- At the top left of the screen, tap the Back arrow once you are done.
Tip: If you already added a point to Google Maps, you cannot move it, but by tapping the Undo button, the most recently added point can be removed. To start again, tap on the three-dot menu at the top right of the screen and select clear.
Calculate Land in Meters or Square Feet on Google Maps
If you want to get the estimated measurements of any place, you don’t need to search for professionals. Google Maps assist you in measuring the land with the same tool for measuring distance. It doesn’t matter if they are in square meters or square feet.
Using the Google Maps Desktop Version while measuring any area is recommended as it calculates the area and is helpful in measuring the shapes that are not even square. Feel free to use the mobile version to practice your mathematics.
To measure the land and to begin on the desktop, you need to zoom in on the piece of land you will measure. Switching to the Satellite mode through Layers tilt on the left will be helpful. Now you will be able to see the exact form of land.
The next step is to select a distance to measure the place you want to measure after right-clicking on the corner of the land space.
To add more points alongside the border, click left until you connect with the starting position. If you add more points, the selected area will be more precise on Google Maps.
The Google Map will calculate the land size in the square meters and square feet in the box that will appear below once you have completed the whole boundary.
Note: You can drag each point to adjust it to add more points.
Click on the point if you want to remove it.
Limitations of Using Google MAPS
Although Google Maps assist you in performing various tasks, there are a few limitations of this application that are as written below
- It has limited online functions
- It has fewer features as compared to the other maps.
- You can only plan driving routes while using Google’s offline maps.
Undoubtedly, Google Maps is worth using navigation software that you can use on your mobile phone, including Android, iPhone, and computer. Surely you would have been surprised to know how easy it is to measure the distance on Google Maps.
One of the worth appreciating features of Google Maps is that it can measure the real-world distance between various numbers of selected points. You can find the straight-line distance or the appropriate distance by adding multiple points. You will be amazed to know that you can also find the distance between two cities using Google Maps.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Using Google Maps Useful?
Yes, using Google Maps is useful as it helps you to measure the distance between one or more points or your pinned locations. It is also useful in a way that it saves your time and money because you don’t have any need to physically go to the points or locations you want to measure.
Do Google Maps Tell The Exact Distance?
If you measure the distance on Google Maps, it will give you the approximate distance between the places you add to measure the distance between two cities. While using Google Maps to measure distance on a computer, right-click a point on the map and select measure distance.
Can Google Maps Measure The Walking Distance?
Yes, the walking distance can be measured by using the distance tool. It helps you to trace the walking route and assists you in calculating how far you have walked.
Is the Area Calculator Available on Mobile?
No, you cannot use the area calculator on your Mobile because it is only available for the desktop web app. You will not be able to recreate this feature on your mobile phone.